FunGlass is pleased to announce the opening of the call within the FunGlass Internal PhD Grant Scheme, which aims to support the participation of first and second-year FunGlass PhD students in the 2nd School on Glasses and Glass-ceramics. This event will take place from April 29 to May 4, 2024, in São Carlos, Brazil.
All travel grant applications will be reviewed and ranked by the Internal PhD Grant Committee based on their quality, originality, and how participation in the Glass School will benefit FunGlass. The committee will grant the top four-ranked applications.
The applications should provide clear answers to the following questions:
- What contributions does the student expect to make through their participation in the Glass School?
- How will the student’s involvement in the Glass School benefit the FunGlass Centre?
- What other contributions will the student provide to the Centre during their study?”
Applicants must include the following information in their expression of interest:
- A cover letter (maximum of 3 pages) addressing the above questions (with a maximum of 500 words for each question).
- Confirmation from their thesis advisor.
- An abstract of their thesis project (maximum of 500 words).”
All applications and supporting documents must be in English and submitted as a single PDF file via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This call is open to the 1st and 2nd year students. All applications are due by 10th November 2024, 17:00 CET.
2nd School on Glasses and Glass-ceramics
The CeRTEV team (www.certev.ufscar.br) is organizing the second School on Glasses and Glass-ceramics from April 29 to May 4, 2024, following the success of the First International School in 2016. The main objectives of the school are:
- Provide state-of-the-art information on the structure, dynamic processes (diffusion, viscous flow, relaxation, and crystallization), and optical, electrical, mechanical, and bio chemical properties of glasses and glass-ceramics.
- Disseminate CeRTEV’s faculty, infrastructure, and facilities to Brazilian and international Ph.D. students.
- Strengthen the international network of CeRTEV collaborators.
- Attract future students, post-docs, and visiting faculty.
The instructors are well-known experts in experimental, theoretical, and computer simulation studies of glasses.
The school will accept up to 60 Ph.D. students worldwide. In the former school, we had approximately 200 applicants from which we selected one hundred. The school will consist of approximately 40 hours of classes, poster presentations, and discussions over six days.
The post-graduate program in materials science and engineering of the Federal University of São Carlos (PPGCEM – DEMa, CAPES level 7) validates this course. Interested students will be able to register officially and receive course credits after completing and being approved in a home work.
There is no registration fee for the school. We can cover the hotel for six nights and the lunch expenses for one student per supervisor (for those who need and apply for such financial help). The students or their thesis advisors/home institutions must cover transportation, health insurance, VISA fees, and other related costs.
Interested students must contact us by email before December 15, 2023, and provide:
- Documental proof of being officially registered in a Ph.D. program.
- An abstract of their thesis project.
- A letter of recommendation from the thesis advisor as well as a commitment to cover transportation, health insurance, and other costs related to the trip to São Carlos.
Prof. Edgar D. Zanotto – CeRTEV director (email@example.com)
Prof. Hellmut Eckert – CeRTEV vice-director
Prof. Ana C.M. Rodrigues – Education and Science Outreach coordinator
Prof. Eduardo B. Ferreira – Technology and Innovation coordinator
Administrative assistant – Miss Laurie Leonardo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
More info: 2nd Sao Carlos school on G and GC – first call