Orhan Sisman, PhD.
Semiconductors, metal oxide (MOX) nanostructures, hybrid nanomaterials, gas sensors, nanomaterial synthesis (hydrothermal, thermal oxidation, electrochemical deposition), glass ceramics, material characterization, optical and electrical characterization, photocatalysts, water splitting, H2 production
- HORIZON 2020, WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017-TeamingPhase2, Centre for functional and surface-functionalized glasses, 02.2021 – 02.2023, Trencin, Slovakia, Researcher.
- CERIC-ERIC Project, No: 20182054, ‘Surface doping of nanostructured MOX chemical sensors by ion beam irradiation.’, 3-10.09.2018 and 23-29.09.2018, Belgrade, Serbia Research Fellow.
- COST ACTION TD1105 ‘European Network on New Sensing Technologies for Air-Pollution Control and Environmental Sustainability’ (EuNetAir), 04.2016 – 04.2018, Research Fellow.
- COST ACTION MP1202 ‘Rational design of hybrid organic-inorganic interfaces: the next step towards advanced functional materials.’ (HINT), 04.2016 – 04.2018, Research Fellow.
- University of Brescia, Research Project, ‘Metal oxide chemical sensors on organic substrates.’, 01.11.2019 – 31.01.2020, Brescia, Italy, Postdoctoral Fellow.
- TUBITAK Project No: 113F403, ‘The Synthesis and Characterization of Metal Oxide/Organic Nano-Heterostructures, and the Investigation of Their Electronic and Gas Sensing Properties’, 01.04.2016 -01.04.2018, Kocaeli, Turkey, Research Assistant.
- Publications in Scientific journals (WOS): 8
- Citations (SCI): +200
- Conference papers: 4
The most significant publications:
- Sisman, N. Kilinc, U. O. Akkus, J. Sama, A. Romano-Rodriguez, D. Atilla, A.G. Gurek, V. Ahsen, S. Berber, Z. Z. Ozturk, “Hybrid liquid crystalline zinc phythalocyanine@Cu2O nanowires for NO2 sensor application”, Sensors & Actuators B, 345 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2021.130431
- Sisman, D. Zappa, E. Bolli, S. Kauicuilus, M. Erick, S. Petrovic, E. Comini, “Influence of Iron and Nitrogen Ion Beams Exposure on CuO Nanowires and Their Gas Sensing Properties”, Sensors & Actuators B (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.snb.2020.128579
- Vassalini, O. Sisman, E. Comini, I. Alessandri, “The role of morphology and geometric factors in all-dielectric SERS: A comparison between conformal (T-rex) and non-conformal TiO2 shells”, -Vibrational Spectroscopy, 103085 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vibspec.2020.103085
- Sisman, N. Kaur, G. Sberveglieri, E. Nunez-Carmona, V. Sberveglieri, E. Comini, “UV-Enhanced Humidity Sensing of Chitosan–SnO2 Hybrid Nanowires”- Nanomaterials, 10, 329 (2020) 1-10. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano10020329
- Sisman, N. Poli, D. Zappa, E. Comini, “Synthesis of nanoporous TiO2 with the use of diluted hydrogen peroxide solution and its application in gas sensing”-Coatings, 9, 681 (2019) 1-12. doi:10.3390/coatings9100681
- Zappa, V. Galstyan, N. Kaur, H.M.M. Munasinghe Arachchige, O. Sisman, E. Comini, “Metal oxide-based heterostructures for gas sensors”- A review, Anal. Chim. Acta. 1039 (2018) 1–23. DOI:10.1016/j.aca.2018.09.020
- O. Şişman, N. Kılınç, Z.Z. Öztürk, “Structural, electrical and H2 sensing properties of copper oxide nanowires on glass substrate by anodization”, Sensors Actuators B Chem. 236 (2016) 1118–1125. DOI:10.1016/J.SNB.2016.06.148
- 2013: B.S.: Middle East Technical University (METU), Ankara, Turkey B.S. & M.S. (5-year program) Physics Education.
- 2016: M.S.: Gebze Technical University, Kocaeli, Turkey, Department of Physics.
Thesis title: Fabrication of Organic/p-type Semiconducting Metal Oxide Hybrid Structures for Gas Sensing Applications.
- 2020: Ph.D.: University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy, Information Engineering-Physics Curriculum.
Thesis title: Strategies to Enhance the Performances of Metal Oxide Gas Sensors.
Awards, scholarships and research stays:
- Research Training, 05.11.2021-31.10.2022, Otto Schott Institute of Materials Science, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Jena, Germany.
- Research Stay, 3-10 & 23-29 Sept. 2018, Vinca Nuclear Institute, Belgrade, Serbia Participation to Ion Beam Irradiation Experiments in FAMA Facility granted by CERIC (Proj. No: 20182054).
- Short Course- ISOCS-SNIFFPHONE ‘Breath Analysis with Chemical Sensor Arrays’, 5-10 March 2017, P. di Legno, Brescia.
- 4th Training School, ‘Modelling, Methods, and Technologies for Air Quality Control’, 19-22 April 2016, Aarhus University, Copenhagen organized by COST Action TD1105 EuNetAir.
- Short Term Scientific Mission, “Investigation of CO and NH3 sensing of CuO nanowires&their heterostructures with organics” 11 Jan – 5 Feb 2016, Barcelona University, Barcelona granted by COST Action TD1105 EuNetAir.
- Training School, ‘Bottom-Up Approaches of Hybrid Materials: Preparation and Design’, 26-28 May 2015, Jožef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, organized by COST Action MP1202 HINT.
- 2nd Training School, ‘Optimized operation of solid-state gas sensors for environmental technologies and air quality monitoring’, 31 Mar-2 Apr 2014, Saarland University, Saarbrücken, organized by COST Action TD1105 EuNetAir.
- Various Awards in Local and National Chess Championships, 1999-2001, Turkey
- Taking academic roles in various scientific journals as Guest Editor and as reviewer.
- Membership of Collegio Universitario Luigi Lucchini, 2016-2019.
- Membership of EuNetAir (Cost Action TD1105), 2014-2016. Attended several training schools, scientific meetings, STSM Program.
- Membership of Disability Support Center of METU, 2009-2010. Volunteer, giving math courses for disabled students.
- Membership of METU-MOST (Motor and Automobile Sports Club), 2007-2010.