Hi, I’m Mansi Dua. My focus at FunGlass revolves around tackling an environmental challenge—wastewater treatment—as a part of my PhD project.
I completed my master’s degree in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology from the National Centre for Nanosciences and Nanotechnology (NCNNUM), University of Mumbai, India in 2022. During my studies, in Semester III, I delved into the study of Phosphates and Crystalline Host Waste Glasses and Ceramics derived from futuristic reactor concepts. Moving on to Semester IV, my thesis work centred on developing a novel composite involving Nickel-substituted cobalt ferrite nanoparticles and bioactive glass for hyperthermia applications. I synthesized these materials using the sol-gel method and characterized them using various techniques like XRD, FTIR, SEM – EDS, VSM, and bioactivity assessment with SBF.
After post-graduation, I worked as a Research Assistant for a year at Surface Modification Technologies (SMT) Pvt Ltd., focusing on PVD coatings for diverse applications. I specialized in qualitative and quantitative sample characterization and analysis of tribological properties. Additionally, I undertook short-term projects involving functional, dental, and decorative coatings, and attended an industrial workshop on Electroplating.
My keen interest lies in exploring the processing of glasses and glass ceramics. Joining FunGlass was driven by my aspiration to contribute to addressing global challenges like wastewater pollution. I aim to specialize in glass science and various additive manufacturing/3D techniques to contribute towards environmental sustainability through research.
Dissertation topic: Additive Manufacutring of advanced porous and photocatalytic glass ceramic wastewater purifying membranes
Supervisor: Dr. Jozef Kraxner
Co-supervisor: Dr. Akansha Mehta, Professor Ernico Bernardo
Department: Department of Glass Processing
Beginning of study: September 2023
Date of dissertation exam: August 2027
Master’s thesis project: Nickel-substituted cobalt ferrite nanoparticles and bioactive glass composites for hyperthermia application
SMT project: Study on Perforation Cutter Blades Used for Shampoo Liquid Packaging: Analysis and Enhancement of Durability
- Certificate course on “Electroplating and Metal Finishing” at Metal Finisher’s Association of India (MFAI) – 2023
- Active participation, management and presentation in “IMTEX 2023 and TOOLTECH” industrial exhibition as a group member of SMT Industrial Research Development Unit – 2023
- First prize for Oral Presentation at XIth Inter-Collegiate Research Scholars Meet”, C. College – 2019
- Paper presentation entitled “Faces of Inequalities in society and it’s solutions” in Two Days National LevelSeminar on Gender Parity: An Era to Be Together” at Thakur Shyamnarayan Collegeof Education & Research, Mumbai – 2019
- Oral Presentation entitled “Necessity of Substantial Development for Ideal Society” in International Conference on “Challenges in Environmental Management” at Patkar – Varde College, Mumbai – 2019
- Oral Presentation entitled “Recycling of Plastic for Environment and Sustainable Development” in International Conference on “Challenges in Environmental Management” at Patkar – Varde College, Mumbai – 2019