Glass-ceramic coatings for high temperature corrosion protection of metals (TNUAD):
- development of new types of polymer derived ceramic (PDC) environmental barrier coatings for protection of metallic substrates against corrosion in hot corrosive and combustion gases and salt melts for heat exchangers in power plants and communal waste incinerators with active and passive glass fillers for increased service time and energetic efficiency of heat exchangers,
- determination of corrosion mechanisms of the coatings in various gaseous and liquid environments.
Self-cleaning/photocatalytic/hydrophilic/hydrophobic coatings on glasses (CSIC):
- examination of various strategies, including the control of the crystal structure, generation of vacancies, doping with other elements, functionalisation of the interface and increasing of surface area for increased reaction rate and efficiency of TiO2-based photo-catalytic coatings, effectively using substantial part of the solar spectrum,
- meso-structured TiO2 coatings with high surface area and increased photocatalytic activity for catalytic applications.
Surface-modified glasses with tailored sorption properties (CSIC, FSU):
- tailoring nitrogen and water adsorption properties of porous silica glass surfaces through precursor chemistry,
- UV grafting of co-mixed monomers to customize the surface properties of PDMS microfluidic channels.
Sol-gel derived reversible corrosion and weathering protection coatings for preservation of historic glass and other artefacts not changing the original characteristics of the pieces or affecting the materials (CSIC).
Enhancing the corrosion and leaching resistance of commercially produced glasses, including the containers for storage and transport of medicals (TNUAD):
- development of novel glass compositions with enhanced chemical durability,
- development of processes for subsequent handling and surface treatment of commercial glasses through modification of their surface chemistry and/or development of coating technologies applicable in industrial-scale production, and resulting in increased chemical durability of the surfaces.
Corrosion and radiation resistance of glass fibre insulations in nuclear power plants (TNUAD):
- kinetics and thermodynamics of glass fibres dissolution used as thermal insulation in nuclear power plants to prevent critical situations in case of loss-of-coolant accidents,
- the influence of gamma irradiation and temperature on the chemical durability of glass fibres quantified by static leaching tests of irradiated and high-temperature irradiated glass fibres,
- performed in distilled water and in a coolant solution,
- impact of radiation dose and temperature on the glass mechanical properties and development of a methodology for routine validation of various types of glass fibrous insulations used in nuclear reactors.
Hollow glass microspheres for catalyst supports (FSU):
- alumino-borate materials, boron-free material and surface-nitrated hollow glass microbeads with diameter below 1 mm as catalyst supports for water-treatment applications,
- glass microbeads as substrates for TiO2 and other transition-metal oxide-based functional coatings.
Magnetic foams for electromagnetic shielding (UNIPD):
- multifunctional waste-derived iron-containing glass-ceramics as lightweight aggregates in concrete, offering electromagnetic shielding.
Opto-mechanical devices and MEMS (FSU):
- development of routes for printing conventionally incompatible materials or their precursors in parallel, at the limits of lateral resolution,
- transferring process knowledge from co-firing of 2D tape-structures to 3D printed structures.
Nanoporous coatings on 3D scaffolds for gas sensing (UNIPD):
- transparent glass scaffolds as the basis for functional devices, e.g. for novel optical gas sensors,
- sol-gel derived and nano-particles containing nanoporous coated transparent glass scaffolds with gas sensing functionalities.
Inorganic polymer based scaffolds for water filtration (UNIPD):
- highly porous glass-based geopolymers with distinctive hierarchical porosity and/or additional porosity created by casting suspensions into the voids of sacrificial 3D printed polymeric scaffolds,
- identical concept applied to novel mixtures comprising waste glasses.
Evaluation of corrosion and leaching resistance of surface modified glasses by combination of corroded surface examination and chemical analysis of corrosive media (TNUAD):
- study of composition – structure – property relationships of oxide glasses leading to the methodology enabling the prediction of glass compositions with enhanced chemical durability,
- development of optimized chemical composition of crystal glass with enhanced chemical durability and weathering resistibility.